Ever since the burst of the real estate bubble in the late 2000s, the Federal government has paid significant attention to real estate transactions looking for fraud. Because of this attention, Federal prosecutors have initiated thousands of Mortgage Fraud investigations and indictments to root out fraud and criminal activity at all levels. Federal agents and Assistant United States Attorneys throughout New York’s Districts and the metropolitan area have put the spotlight on buyers, lenders, appraisers, title companies, brokers and attorneys involved in all aspects of the mortgage process. Essentially, Mortgage Fraud is a crime in which the intent is to materially misrepresent or omit information on a mortgage loan application to obtain a loan or to obtain a larger loan than would have been obtained had the lender or borrower known the truth. The Federal Bureau of Investigation and Main Justice have created task forces to investigate lending, banking and borrowing related to real estate mortgages.
- From Witness to Target: Potential Exposure & Consequences of a Federal Investigation
- Understanding the Federal Arrest Process: The Importance of Knowledgeable Counsel
- The Federal Court Process From Arrest to Potential Sentence
- Federal Sentencing Guidelines: Understanding Your Criminal Exposure
Make not mistake. Your alleged theft, fraud or misrepresentation need not be in the multiple millions of dollars to grab the attention of the Federal government. “Straw buyers,” phony brokers and attorneys who manipulate documents at all levels can face serious and life changing consequences. The FBI, HUD (Housing and Urban Development) and other Federal agencies have devoted thousands of man-hours to uncover all types of Mortgage Frauds including those involving foreclosures, falsely declared incomes or employment, improper value assessments, and identity theft.
- Federal Arrest Warrants: What it Means and Your Next Steps
- Understanding the Federal Bail Process
- Understanding Federal Subpoenas: How the Government Can Force You to Appear
A myriad of Federal offenses can be charged, such as Wire Fraud, Mail Fraud, Conspiracy, Bank Fraud and False Claims against the Government, among others. All of these crimes can result in many years in prison and saddle you with tremendous financial penalties. The FBI put the industry on notice that it has “developed new ways to detect and combat Mortgage Fraud, including collecting and analyzing data to spot emerging trends and patterns.” This focused attention by law enforcement has resulted in business and individuals in the real estate industry to be subject of a Grand Jury subpoena, questioning, investigation and even indictment.
- Federal White Collar Crimes
- Wire Fraud: Title 18, United States Code, Section 1343
- Mail Fraud: Title 18, United States Code, Section 1341
- Bank Fraud: Title 18, United States Code, Section 1344
- Federal Conspiracy Crimes
- False Claims Against the Government
- New York State Mortgage Fraud Crimes
If you find yourself in this situation, it will be critical for you to obtain the best legal representation possible. The Federal criminal defense attorneys and former prosecutors at Crotty Saland PC are well versed in all aspects of Mortgage Fraud investigations and prosecutions. We will navigate the complexities associated with any Mortgage Fraud case and fight on your behalf. Let Crotty Saland PC’s experience, advocacy and knowledge be your best defense.
Call the Federal criminal lawyers and former prosecutors at (212) 312-7129 or contact us online today.