Non-Violent & Property Crimes
As a general rule, people like to compartmentalize and categorize elements of their lives. Just as in life, New York criminal defense attorneys often do the same when it comes to the New York Penal Law, but with less success. In fact, there are countless crimes that do not neatly fall into the scope of violent or white collar crimes. Despite this, these crimes are equally severe and serious regardless of whether you are prosecuted in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Westchester or anywhere else in New York State. These offenses are generally considered non-violent and property crimes. Non-violent and property crimes range from misdemeanors to felonies with potential punishment as overwhelming as twenty five years in state prison.
Regardless of the particular offense, the basic issues that need to be addressed with your New York criminal defense lawyer are the same. Was there probable cause to make the arrest, is the complaint or indictment against you sufficient, do you grounds to challenge certain evidence presented and can the prosecution prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt? Even if the answers to these questions are unfavorable to you, if you are charged with a non-violent or property crime can you work alongside your New York criminal defense attorney to set forth meaningful and mitigating factors that will assist you in obtaining a favorable disposition that cannot only keep you from prison or jail, but away from the all to real consequences to your career.
Although far from an exclusive list of all non-violent and property crimes in New York, the follow is a snapshot into the offenses that the New York criminal defense attorneys and former Manhattan prosecutors at Crotty Saland PC handle:
- Criminal Trespass (NY PL 140.10 & 140.15)
- Obstruction of Governmental Administration (NY PL 195.05)
- Making Graffiti (NY PL 145.60)
- Possession of Graffiti Instruments (NY PL 145.65)
- Criminal Mischief (NY PL 145.00, 145.05, 145.10 & 145.12)
- Unlicensed Practice of a Profession (NY ED 6512)
- Unlawful Surveillance (NY PL 250.45)
- Unauthorized Use of a Vehicle (NY PL 165.05)
- Resisting Arrest (NY PL 205.30)
- Endangering the Welfare of a Child (NY PL 260.10)
- Prostitution, Escort Services & Unlicensed Massage (NY 230.00)
- Patronizing a Prostitute & Solicitation (NY PL 230.04)
- Animal Abuse (AML 353)
- Bail Jumping (NY PL 215.55, 215.56 & 215.57)
- Reckless Endangerment (NY PL 120.20 & 120.25)
- Falsely Reporting an Incident (NY PL 240.50, 240.55 & 240.60)
- Public Lewdness (NY PL 245.00)
Once again, do not be misguided in your belief that if an offense is a property or non-violent crime it will not be vigorously prosecuted by the District Attorney's Office. This could not be further from the truth. Even if a non-criminal disposition is reached there may be lifelong ramifications to your career.
The New York City non-violent and property crime lawyers at Crotty Saland PC have and will continue to zealously advocate for our clients regardless of the accusation and type of non-violent or property crime alleged. For those who have "more on the line," we have represented physicians, teachers, lawyers and other professionals with the purpose of not only protecting their rights in the criminal accusation, but securing them from secondary issues involving their certifications and licenses with the government or private authorities.
- New York Criminal Arrests and Convictions: Immigration Consequences
- NYC Employee Arrests: Direct and Collateral Consequences
- Doctors, Nurses and Other Medical Professionals: NY Arrests and Licensure
If you have been accused of any criminal act in New York or you are currently under investigation, don't compound the situation. Contact Crotty Saland PC for a consultation and arm your self with knowledge by reviewing our New York criminal law blog at newyorkcriminallawyer-blog.com for information on relevant sections of the penal law, legal decisions and newsworthy cases of interest.
Call us at (212) 312-7129 or contact us online today.