NY State Non-Violent & Property Crimes
As a general rule, people like to compartmentalize and categorize elements of their lives. Just as in life, New York criminal defense attorneys often do the same when it comes to the New York Penal Law, but with less success. In fact, there are countless offenses that do not neatly fall into the scope of violent or white collar crimes. Despite this, these crimes are equally severe and serious regardless of whether you are prosecuted in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Dutchess or anywhere else in New York State. Just like their white collar and violent brethren, these non-violent and property crimes are both misdemeanors and felonies with the same direct an collateral consequences upon conviction. Whether it’s a sentence that mandates incarceration in prison or jail, ranging from one year to twenty-five, or community service and probation is the ultimate punishment, no matter the crime nor the jurisdiction in the Hudson Valley or New York City, know that a mark on your criminal record will last forever.Non-Violent and Property Crimes: Issues and Defenses
Regardless of the particular offense, the basic issues that you must address with your New York criminal defense lawyer are the same. Was there probable cause to make the arrest? Is the complaint or indictment against you legally sufficient? Do you have grounds to challenge certain evidence presented by the prosecution and can the District Attorney prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt? How is law enforcement linking you to the particular offense? Do you make an admission? Is there a witness? What, if anything, did the NYPD, Rockland County Police or other law enforcement agency recover from your person? Even if the answers to these questions are unfavorable to you, if you are charged with a non-violent or property crime you can, and must, work alongside your criminal counsel to set forth meaningful and mitigating factors that will assist you in obtaining a favorable disposition. Only then, can you ensure that you will remain free from prison or jail, but minimize your exposure to the frightening collateral consequences to your career, family and future.Non-Violent and Property Crimes: The New York Penal Law Offenses
Although far from an exclusive list of all non-violent and property crimes in New York, the follow is a snapshot into the offenses that the New York criminal defense attorneys and former Manhattan prosecutors at Crotty Saland PC routinely handle, and successfully, resolve for clients throughout the City of New York and Hudson Valley:
- Animal Abuse: NY Agriculture and Markets Law 353
- Criminal Interference with Health Care Services or Religious Worship: NY Penal Law 240.70, 240.71, 240.72 and 240.73
- Criminal Mischief: NY Penal Law 145.00, 145.05, 145.10 & 145.12
- Criminal Trespass: NY Penal Law 140.10 and 140.15
- Endangering the Welfare of a Child: NY Penal Law 260.10
- Falsely Reporting an Incident: NY Penal Law 240.50, 240.55 and 240.60
- Making Graffiti: NY Penal Law 145.60
- Obstruction of Governmental Administration: NY Penal Law 195.05
- Patronizing a Prostitute & Solicitation: NY Penal Law 230.04
- Possession of Graffiti Instruments: NY Penal Law 145.65
- Prostitution, Escort Services & Unlicensed Massage: NY Penal Law 230.00
- Public Lewdness: NY Penal Law 245.00
- Reckless Endangerment: NY Penal Law 120.20 and 120.25
- Resisting Arrest: NY Penal Law 205.30
- Unauthorized Use of a Vehicle: NY Penal Law 165.05 and 165.06
- Unlawful Surveillance: NY Penal Law 250.45
- Unlicensed Practice of a Profession: NY Education Law 6512
Once again, do not be misguided in your belief that if an offense is a property or non-violent crime it will not be vigorously prosecuted by the District Attorney's Office. For that matter, if you believe that receiving a New York City Desk Appearance Ticket signifies that the case is of nominal consequences, know that if you are convicted the ramifications are no less than the police held you in jail for 24 hours before seeing a judge. Remember, even if a non-criminal disposition is reached there may be lifelong implications to your career.
The New York City non-violent and property crime lawyers at Crotty Saland PC have and will continue to zealously advocate for our clients regardless of the accusation and type of non-violent or property crime alleged. For those who have "more on the line," we have represented, and continue to represent, physicians, teachers, lawyers, FINRA regulated professionals and others with the goal of not only protecting their rights against a criminal accusation, but protecting them from secondary issues involving their certifications and licenses with the government or private authorities.
- New York Criminal Arrests and Convictions: Immigration Consequences
- NYC Employee Arrests: Direct and Collateral Consequences
- Doctors, Nurses and Other Medical Professionals: NY Arrests and Licensure
If you have been accused of any criminal act in New York or you are currently under investigation, don't compound the situation. Contact Crotty Saland PC for a consultation and arm yourself with knowledge by reviewing our New York criminal law blog at newyorkcriminallawyer-blog.com for information on relevant sections of the penal law, legal decisions and newsworthy cases of interest.
Call the New York criminal defense lawyers at former prosecutors at (212) 312-7129 or contact us online today.