Victim Assistance, Witness Representation and Internal Investigation
Most people believe they will never need the assistance of a criminal attorney because they cannot fathom being accused of a crime. Unfortunately, it is not only the individual who finds him or herself accused of a crime that is frightened, lost and in need of counsel, but the victim of someone else's callus, intentional or malicious conduct. Whether you are the victim of a criminal act or you are a witness in a criminal prosecution, you will likely feel equally concerned and alone. While prosecutors will certainly seek to hold a defendant accountable in the event the alleged wrongdoer is arrested, these prosecutors are not your personal attorneys. They cannot advocate on your behalf outside the criminal court, advise you about different legal issues or serve as your personal attorney. In fact, the prosecutor has the final say in "your" criminal case. You do not. You are not their client regardless of the apparent - and possibly very real - relationship you may have. Although prosecutors subjectively want what is best for their case, they work for either the United States government or the State of New York. Again, prosecutors do not represent you.
As a law firm established by both New York criminal lawyers and former prosecutors, Crotty Saland PC is in a unique position to advocate for victims of crimes both inside and outside of the criminal court. In fact, the criminal lawyers at Crotty Saland PC have resolved cases for clients with and without the assistance of law enforcement due to the specific needs and sensitivities of our clients. Whether our clients sought to keep their personal and familial exposure at a minimum, did not want to involve law enforcement for personal reasons or sought to have their cases fully vetted and prepared in advance of presentation to prosecutors, Crotty Saland PC has successfully represented clients in a wide range issues in multiple jurisdictions. Some of these cases include:
- Investigation and presentation of a nearly $1 million Embezzlement and Grand Larceny of our client, an attorney, to the District Attorney's Office. Prosecutors obtained a conviction of the defendant, our client's employee, after trial.
- Presentation and acceptance by the District Attorney's Office of an approximately $85,000 fraud and Grand Larceny perpetrated against a European company by a New York businessman.
- Representation of a victim of Aggravated Harassment and Extortion in a case that resulted in a plea in New York City Criminal Court.
- Intervened on behalf of numerous men and women harassed online, through texts and by phones calls with threats to expose photographs or other personal information to friends, families or employers. These Aggravated Harassment cases were resolved without any law enforcement involvement while maintaing the privacy and security of the victims.
- Intervened on behalf an individual who was the victim of an attempted Grand Larceny by Extortion. The potential extorter demanded thousands of dollars or this person would expose a matter that would serve no benefit to the extorter, but would damage our client's employment and reputation.
- Represented witnesses in criminal investigations before prosecutors.
- Obtained orders of protection in Family Court for clients who wanted restraining orders, but did not want their harassers, to be arrested.
By no means are the examples listed above the only cases Crotty Saland PC has successfully handled on the behalf of victims or witnesses. Nor are the scenarios and offenses listed above the only crimes where both victims and witnesses often need counsel and an advocate. Some of these other offenses include:
- Theft and Larceny by Embezzlement
- Theft and Larceny by Extortion or Blackmail
- Aggravated Harassment
- Assault crimes
- Strangulation and Related Offenses
One of the more difficult and sensitive areas of criminal law for both the accused and the accuser are New York Domestic Violence prosecutions. Having served as Domestic Violence prosecutors in the Manhattan District Attorney's Office, Crotty Saland PC's two founding criminal lawyers have advocated for both complainants and defendants. Because of the "arrest first ask questions later" nature of these offenses, its is routine for an accuser to want to change the initial allegation after things have settled or there was a misunderstanding as to what transpired. Alternatively, even if the allegations are true, neither party wants an order of protection keep them apart. Whatever the situation may be, Crotty Saland PC is has the knowledge and experience to best resolve your legal issues.
Whether you are victim of a financial crime and want to build a case to bring directly to prosecutors instead of going through the police, you are the victim of a crime but do not want to pursue a case through law enforcement or you merely need an attorney to protect your rights and interests, Crotty Saland PC will zealously advocate on your behalf while best ensuring your privacy and working with you towards an acceptable resolution as efficiently as possible.
Don't let a prosecutor solely dictate the path of your criminal case. Ensure law enforcement is prepared. Take the initiative to resolve your issues before it escalates.
Call the victim advocates and former Manhattan prosecutors at (212) 312-7129 or contact us online today