New York Gun Lawyer
New York has some of the toughest gun regulations in the country. State lawmakers and police departments heavily regulate the possession, sale, transfer, and manufacturing of firearms, and because of their strict policies on guns and other firearms, if you are charged with a gun-related offense you may potentially face serious prison sentences and significant fines.
While there are Constitutional protections allowing citizens to own and possess guns, the laws for gun ownership and use are complex.
Often innocent actions around a firearm are construed as threatening and cause police to overzealously charge people with gun related offenses.
If you have been charged with any gun charge, do not underestimate the charges against you. An experienced New York gun lawyer can help explain the charges. An experienced criminal defense attorney in New York can work with prosecutors to have your charges lowered or dismissed, or help prove your innocence.New York Gun Laws
New York State Penal Code Section 265 establishes the definition of what constitutes a firearm, and has expanded the definition over the years to include all of the following:
- Pistol or revolver
- Certain shotguns
- Certain rifles
- Modified shotguns and rifles
- Assault weapons
This section of the Penal Code also establishes the laws for possession of weapons in the state of New York. In addition to prescribing types of weapons, this section of the code also establishes various crimes for possessing or using a firearm. Some of the most common gun charges a New York gun lawyer sees include:
- Criminal possession of a firearm
- Criminal possession of a weapon on school grounds
- Unlawful possession of weapons by a person under the age of 16
- Criminal possession of a dangerous weapon
- Criminal sale of a firearm
- Criminal sale of a firearm with the aid of a minor
- Criminal sale of a firearm to a minor
- Criminal purchase or disposal of a firearm
- Criminal use of a firearm
If a person has been arrested for a weapons charge, or even if they have received a desk appearance ticket, this can be a very serious matter that can negatively affect both their personal and professional life. To combat such charges, an individual should not hesitate before contacting a gun lawyer in New York as soon as possible.Potential Penalties
New York State has gained a reputation nationally for having some of the most complex gun laws in the country. In addition, New York has some of the strictest penalties for gun crimes.
However, an experienced New York gun attorney may be able to help a person charged with a gun crime avoid these harsh charges and keep a person from paying large fines or going to jail. Some of the penalties for gun-related offenses include:
- Prison sentences – Gun crimes range in severity from misdemeanors to Class B felonies. This means that a person may be sentenced anywhere from a few months in jail for lower misdemeanors, up to 25 years for a Class B felony.
- Fines – The fines for any gun related charge can vary just as prison sentences do. A person who is convicted of a Class A misdemeanor may face a fine of up to $1,000. However, a person who is charged and convicted of a more serious crime such as a Class B felony, may face a fine of up to $30,000.
There are many other implications to being charged with a gun-related offense, such as being denied from certain jobs, losing a visa status or facing deportation, as well as having a criminal record.Contact an Attorney
If you have been charged with any gun related criminal offense in New York, it is a serious matter, and you should contact an experienced gun attorney in New York as soon as possible. A seasoned lawyer can help you understand your options as well as defend your legal rights.