Desk Appearance Tickets (D.A.T.)
As New York City criminal defense lawyers, we understand that often times the police will issue a Desk Appearance Ticket (D.A.T.) in lieu of having the arrestee go through the entire arrest process. While the police can chose to issue a D.A.T. instead of sending you through central booking in Manhattan or elsewhere in the City of New York, they often review certain criteria before doing so. For example, if you have valid identification, the offense is not one that involves domestic violence and you do not have a criminal record, a D.A.T. may be issued. In these cases a ticket is given that requires an appearance on a future date in criminal court. If you are given a D.A.T. you will return on that date to not only face the misdemeanor or violation charge, but you will see the judge for arraignment. While it is relatively rare, a DAT may charge you with a felony.
- What is a New York City Desk Appearance Ticket
- Who is Eligible for a New York City Desk Appearance Ticket
- What Happens if You Fail to Appear on the Desk Appearance Ticket Date
- Why You Should Hire an Attorney for Your Desk Appearance Ticket
Although being issued a D.A.T. may not seem serious, that misguided belief could not be further from the truth. You have been “printed.” The police have created a record and one that can potentially impact you for years to come. In fact, the New York City Desk Appearance Attorneys at Crotty Saland PC have negotiated with the police and voluntarily surrendered clients who were investigated in very serious matters. Fortunately for these clients, despite the severity of the charges, we were able to negotiate a D.A.T. as part of a surrender, but the fact still remains that they have been arrested.
Whether the arrest was processed as a D.A.T. or through central booking, if you do not come to court on the required date it is very likely that a bench warrant will be issued for your immediate arrest. Therefore, you should take a D.A.T just as serious as a "regular" arrest and retain a skilled and experienced attorney to fight on your behalf.
Substantive articles on D.A.T. crimes, processes and procedures can be found on the Desk Appearance Ticket section of the New York Criminal Lawyer Blog (NewYorkCriminalLawyerBlog.Com). There you will find material on particular crimes, potential offers and legal case decisions that may impact your case.
Additional information on New York Desk Appearance Tickets can also be found at NYDeskAppearanceTicket.Com.
Call our criminal lawyers and former Manhattan prosecutors at (212) 312-7129 or contact us online today.
- When a Mere Conclusion by the NYPD Cannot Sustain a Complaint for PL 220.03 The ease by which the police can arrest and Assistant District Attorneys can prosecute denizens of New York City (or any municipality in New York ....
- All "Weapons" are not Equal: Understanding Subsection Two of Fourth Dgree Criminal Possession of a Weapon (NY PL 265.01(2)) New York State is on tough place to face a criminal charge. Yea, there are always concerns with New York's "strict liability" crimes where knowledge, ....
- Per Se Weapons & Fourth Degree New York Weapon Crimes: Defining Bludgeon and Identifying Defense Practices in a NY PL 265.01 Arrest There are countless means in which a non-weapon, if used in a particular way, becomes a weapon in the eyes of the law. In New York, a tree branch, ....